The Power of Simple Authenticity


The simplest connections can spark interest, and if that spark is cultivated well interest can create greater engagement, a listening ear, and eventually trust. One of the roles I play at Hope Tech is an instructor and mentor to our students. For most of my students, there must first be a connection before students will invest their time and energy in Hope Tech. But connection doesn’t have to mean something deep or profound. In fact, I have found that it is the simplest things that spark connection and greater engagement. All it takes is being your authentic self.

If you have read my first blog you know that I’m an ex-suburbanite with no background in technology, and as an Operations Manager for a nonprofit that teaches coding to urban youth this comes across ironic at best and unqualified at worst. But I’ve learned that our so called “weaknesses” can be turned into strengths with the right perspective. It is my “weakness”, my unfamiliarity with technology, that so often sparks the simplest connection with my students.

Most of our students have had little to no exposure to coding, which can make Hope Tech’s Innovation Challenge feel daunting to some. So on the first day of every lab I like to try to even the playing field. When I stand up and introduce myself I ask my students what kind of degree they think I have. Most guess computer science; no one ever guesses Biblical Studies. When I share this I get reactions ranging from surprise to skepticism. But then I share about all I have learned working for Hope Tech, how I’ve learned the basics of coding logic to create my own video game. This allows me to tell my students in all seriousness that if I can learn the basics of coding they can too. While they might not yet believe that they can learn all that I have, this simple connection puts me and my students on common ground and paves the way for investment and trust.

As Hope Tech board member, Brigg Sterns, so wisely taught me: when working with youth, we must put aside the adult that we have to be around other adults. In other words, we must remember to be our most genuine selves, the self that is transparent about our weaknesses, failures, and fears, because when we do it offers the perfect opportunity for connection and empowers youth to push past the fear of failure. If an adult can have weaknesses, fears, and failures and still accomplish all that they have, then the youth can too. It teaches youth that these things are not as scary as they may seem. They are a normal part of the human experience - everyone has weaknesses, fears, and failures, even successful people. This sharing of common human experiences from an adult to a youth creates the connection necessary in order for youth to find empowerment and boldness in their life.
Whether you work with youth or are surrounded by other adults all day, connecting with others is all about the art of simple authenticity.  Authenticity takes the right combination of boldness and humility, but when done right the connections formed often spark the same boldness in the others.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hope With Hustle

Dream, Develop, Deploy